Monday 9 November 2020

Wise Words

Well, it feels like we've just been through a tumultuous weekend!

The United States Presidential Election ended (or has it?!) more decisively and quickly than I anticipated.  I was particularly struck by Mr Biden's words, uttered on more than one occasion over the last 48 hours, that when it comes to politics we shouldn't treat our 'opponents as if they are enemies'.  With so much vitriol going around at the moment, surely these are good words to hear and a worthy sentiment to put into practise.

And then came the sad news of the passing of Jonathan Sacks, Lord Sacks and one time Chief Rabbi.  Here was a man who drew respect from people of all faiths and none.  His brilliant mind, compassionate ethics and empathetic tone in his writing and broadcasting always made him someone worth listening to. 

Here's a quote of his that shows something of his profound insight and wisdom:

The test of faith is whether I can make space for difference.  Can I recognise God's image in someone who is not in my image, whose language, faith, ideals are different from mine?  If I cannot, then I have made God in my image instead of allowing him to make me in his.

I thank God for the wise words these two men.  One a politician with a deep Christian faith, the other a Jewish religious leader with a heart full of integrity and courage.

Words to challenge us. Words to heal us.  Words to make our world a better place.

In whatever you do this day, may God's word to you and your words to others be a blessing.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...