Friday 20 November 2020

The Joys and Tribulations of a New Phone

Much of what these last eight months has been about is 'keeping in touch', and technology has made that so much easier than ever before.  It's hard to believe that years ago personal international communication depended on writing letters on thin blue paper yet nowadays a call to Australia on WhatsApp is instantaneous.

Technology has been a blessing.  Over Lockdown I've watched services from all over the world, listened to lectures from Yale University and watched old Parkinson interviews on YouTube from the 1980's with delight!

Yet, as one lady from the congregation said to me this week, 'I still love the phone' the best.  I guess for her, as for countless others it's been a lifeline.

Well, this week I got a new iPhone as my old one had ceased to re-charge properly.  There was much excitement at The Manse as it arrived.  My adult children were nothing short of 'evangelistic' in telling me all about how brilliant it would be with so many new features to explore.

However, reality has not met expectation!  I guess we've all been there.  As I try to operate this new phone it feels familiar yet different at the same time.  Every operation requires me to learn a new skill and,  however slight that may be, it brings delay and frustration.  

It feels to me like a metaphor for life now.  Compared to eight months ago 'it's the same but different', everything seems just a tad more awkward.  

When it comes to both the phone and life, I'm grateful for the new, yet sometimes I long for the old!  

Whatever you are doing today and this weekend, may you know God's blessing and joy.  And if you are tuning in to the audio services there is an extra one available this week, a new service of Holy Communion for November and December.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...