Friday 13 November 2020

Order for Baptist Ministry Convocation

Over the last two days I've joined in with, what for me has been, a very special Zoom.  The Order for Baptist Ministry, to which I belong, held its annual Convocation not at St Columba's Retreat House in Woking as planned, but via Zoom.  Over two days we did much the same sort of thing that we would have done if we had been physically present with each other.  Of course, it wasn't quite the same, but it was something; and for that I'm grateful.

My colleague, Heather (who is also part of our community here at AFC) spoke at one of the sessions about 'hanging on to hope and finding glimpses of God' in these unsettling times.  She quoted part of John Bell's wonderful hymn that ends with these profound words:

Lord, let Your Spirit meet us here,
To mend the body, mind and soul,
To disentangle peace from pain
And make Your broken people whole.

We concluded the Convocation with six ministers making vows to join The Order, and also in sharing in communion.  The liturgy was specially written and I loved the part that went:

We thank you for this bread and this wine
on different tables, on different plates
in different cups, in different places,
all symbols of your body broken
and your blood shed for us.
Scattered, yet together we remember.

It was an encouragement to share this time together.

Pip, the Manse dog, even made a couple of appearances!  Our son took this photo, it really does look like she too has got used to Zooming!!

May you know God's blessing and joy in all you do today and this weekend,

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...