Thursday 7 November 2019

Outside 14 Woodside Road

On Sunday  I was shown a fascinating photograph that has come to light of the Amersham Free Church Sisterhood (which was dissolved in 1978).  These ladies are outside the Sycamore Hall - which I'm intrigued is numbered 14 Woodside Road.

I guess this is a postwar photo, maybe even one taken in the 50's?

It felt so good being shown this on All Saints Sunday because just moments before, in our worship, we had lit a candle in memory of those we love but have now died.

As the Sunday afternoon Sisterhood declined, so the Women's Own, held on a weekday at AFC, increased and, indeed, still meets today.

Three rows back in the photo, towards the right is the unmistakable face of young Molly!  Molly died only recently and became one of AFC's most colourful and loved characters.  She grew into an accomplished musician and we miss her still.  It's wonderful to sense that she was encouraged and nurtured within the Sisterhood in her younger days.

At this season of remembrance I'm touched as I look into the faces of the photo.  I see a loving and caring group of committed ladies; you can almost feel their warmhearted welcome - despite some rather formidable 'Victorians' amongst them!

Today's Church is built upon yesterday's saints and we are ever grateful for them.

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...