Friday 25 October 2019

As I was saying to the High Sheriff...!

There was something of a party at church on Saturday.  The occasion was a presentation by the Lord Lieutenant of the county of the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service to the Chiltern Child Contact Centre.

The Contact Centre meets on our premises and over the last eight years many in the congregation have served in the roles of Co-ordinator, Chair, volunteer or trustee.  Every other Saturday it offers a safe and secure space in which children can meet and spend time with their non-resident parent.

Saturday was a day when, in essence, the State said 'thank you' to all the volunteers who make the Child Contact Centre happen.

Over the tea and cake afterwards I enjoyed a conversation with the High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire and she told me how proud she was that this year ten, rather than the usual four, Queen's Awards for Voluntary Service have been awarded to various groups in the county.

Mr Google states that in the UK around 20million people regularly 'volunteer' in some way or another; that's 4 in 10 of us!

Ironically I've spent my working life alongside volunteers - because that's the nature of Church; I'm normally the only one who gets paid!

Volunteers are the backbone of churches and many other groups in society.  Their contribution to our life together is immeasurable, and in some small, yet deeply significant and much appreciated way last Saturday, this was made clear and celebrated.

'Loving Neighbour' - it often starts with a voluntary act of kindness.

(Blog Holiday next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...