Friday 30 January 2015

Clishmaclaver

I discovered a new and interesting word last weekend!  We had been kindly invited to a Burns' Nicht Dinner held by the Amersham and District Scottish Society.  This is a big event in the Society's year and on the table was a printed running order for the evening along with a menu that included Neeps, Champit Tatties and a wee dram!  The word that was new to me came at the very top Clishmaclaver - Scots for gossip or idle talk - but I'm sure for us last Saturday it meant something more uplifting - that relaxed banter that enhances any meal spent with companions around a table.

I'm all in favour of Clishmaclaver!  Every Sunday after the service I go into our church hall as coffee is being served and there is the wonderful sound of people deep in conversation - catching up, sharing news, listening to worries or even (and I know this sounds incredible) discussing the sermon!  I think sharing conversation is a vital part of Sunday mornings - so much is possible simply because people talk!

Last week I also experienced a slightly different form of Clishmaclavar.  After a united service with our Anglican and Methodist friends a group of us from AFC went over to Chesham and visited the Mosque there.  This was an open invitation to anyone from our Muslim friends as they tried to show the true and peaceful face of Islam to counteract the extremism showed in Paris last month.

I was so proud of members of my own congregation as I watched them engage so willingly and respectfully with the folks at the Mosque.  Together we shared Clishmaclavar - we talked about our faith and discovered some inspiring similarities.  Both parties were secure in their own faiths and in this context we were happy to share our stories with laughter and mutual respect.

Have a good weekend and if you get the opportunity enjoy some Clishmaclavar!

Best wishes,

Ian



No comments:

Post a Comment

Othering

  I belong to a couple of book discussion groups, and both have looked at the former Chief Rabbi’s brilliant tome entitled Not in God’s Name...