Saturday 19 April 2014

Evidence of Resurrection?

AFC at Spring Harvest
Yesterday we drove back south to Amersham after a week at Spring Harvest.  We spent this time in Skegness with a group from our church. 


It was only whilst packing that I realised my last visit to Spring Harvest was during my first Easter at Theological College way back in 1984.  After spending a few sessions in Big Top worship it was more than apparent that even if Spring Harvest hadn’t changed maybe I had!


There were many good things on offer (although some in our group felt not quite as many as in previous years) – but two of the best were on the ‘after-hours’ programme rather than ‘main stage’.  The first was a late-night evening with Adrian Plass. The deep sincerity, poignant wisdom and gentle humour of this author and retreat house leader touched us all.  It’s remarkable how clear ‘truth’ and ‘wisdom’ can become when grounded in everyday funny stories.


The second event, one that also took us almost to midnight (sleep, I found out was rather in short supply at Spring Harvest!) was an hour with Graham Kendrick.  Once again I think we were all moved by the integrity and warmth of this servant of God –  whose music and song writing has been a real blessing to The Church for the last four decades.


As we left yesterday and made that journey south I reflected on what had been the highlights for me since arriving in Skegness of a sunny Monday afternoon.  The truth is they were not the main sessions in the Big Top but the time spent with the group from Amersham Free Church: the gentle, humorous banter as we ate together, the one to one conversations as we walked to the sessions, the ‘mock’ competitiveness of the hour we spent bowling, and the gentle ‘looking out for one another’ that became a heartening characteristic of our time together. In short it was just a joy and privilege to be with this group of people.


As we approach Easter Day perhaps many people ask the question: what proof do we have about resurrection?  Well I’m not sure if you could give anyone incontrovertible proof and I for one am happy that mystery, doubt, faith and trust all blend together in the pilgrimage I am on.  However, I do sense that one consequence of Jesus’ resurrection is the continuing presence and community of the Church that has continued to share in his ministry and mission ever since.  And this week, in the fellowship I have experienced with my sisters and brothers, I believe I’ve participated in something of this ‘resurrection life’.


Christ is Risen!  Hallelujah!



Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Easter Meals

  Meals figure a great deal in the Easter narratives. The one in the upper room is full of companionship, although tense at times.  And the ...