Friday 11 April 2014

Down to earth service



On Monday of this week just over twenty folk from Amersham Free Church rolled up their sleeves and spent a really productive morning ‘Spring Cleaning’ our Sanctuary and side rooms.  This effort was prompted by the imminent conclusion of building works which have been going on since the beginning of February.  Now that we have a new vestibule it was time to dust, polish, throw out old furniture and varnish the wood block flooring. 


I know such mornings are common place in churches and community halls up and down the country but it never ceases to impress me just how uplifting and satisfying it is to work in such a dedicated team. 


At one point I found myself in the dry baptistery with Anne clearing out the creepy crawlies and their webs!  Later on I was clearing the vestry of old cupboards as Claire washed down the walls.  And more than once I was found propping up the kitchen counter as we all stopped for coffee and a chat!


By 1pm the building really did look as if some T.L.C. had been spent on it and I’m really grateful to everyone who both organised and supported such a worthwhile morning.


I guess you can measure commitment and faithfulness in many ways.  Sometime people commend a church because of its ‘prayerfulness’ or the generosity of its giving.  Another benchmark, in my mind at least, is a morning like last Monday – an example of down to earth service done with great generosity of spirit and a cheerful smile.


And it has struck me this week as I’ve prepared a little for the Easter services which are almost upon us just how ‘down to earth’ Jesus often was – even in the sacraments he left us.  After all the institution of communion happened not in the temple or synagogue but round a table in an upper room – as people ate.  And on the cross during the mystery of Good Friday our Lord has this practical yet loving thought that his mother must be looked after so he poignantly entrusts her into John’s protection and care.


There are times, I suspect, when we have all been very ‘spiritual’ about faith – and there is nothing wrong with that heartfelt longing for truth and meaning.  But maybe we do well to value that which is a practical and down to earth expression of Christianity as well – for dusters as well as prayer books have their place in our discipleship.


With best wishes,

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Othering

  I belong to a couple of book discussion groups, and both have looked at the former Chief Rabbi’s brilliant tome entitled Not in God’s Name...