Wednesday 27 March 2024

Easter Meals

 


Meals figure a great deal in the Easter narratives.

The one in the upper room is full of companionship, although tense at times.  And the remembrance of that night has become the most important meal of The Church. 

The Emmaus meal, although almost finished before it began, holds a treasured place in the Easter sequence.  This enigmatic encounter, culminating in a single gesture of breaking the bread, an action that said a thousand words, warms our hearts today as much as it did Cleopas and his friend’s two thousand years ago.

And post Easter Sunday there was that breakfast meal by the lake as Jesus meets his disciples and reinstates a dejected, yet still faithful Peter.
 

I’m thinking of meals because yesterday I felt I had one of those ‘God moments’ that touched my heart.  It was the Tuesday of Holy Week and at Tea at Three, in our church hall, I was in conversation with a church member over some delicious chocolate Brownies.  She may live in a care home and is faithfully brought to services and events by a wonderfully loving husband, yet she has great and often insightful theology!  For she said, unprompted: When we sit here at Tea at Three, we are in the presence of Jesus just as much as when we sit in church.

I loved hearing that!  Some may call it The Real Presence, but my friend just called it the presence of Jesus.  And I believe she’s spot on.  Just as our Lord was present in the upper room, at Emmaus and by a beach barbeque, his living and life sustaining presence is with us still, whether singing hymns of faith in church or eating chocolate brownies with good friends around a table in a church hall on a Tuesday afternoon.  And in a sense, that’s what resurrection is all about – those daily encounters with our living Lord.
 

May God’s blessing be yours this Holy Week and, come Sunday, let’s join together wherever we are and proclaim Christ is Risen, He is Risen indeed, Alleluia!

Blog returns in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...