Thursday 8 September 2022

Autumnus

 

If it’s true that Brits like nothing better than talking about the weather, perhaps it’s also fair to say the changing seasons always seem to catch us by surprise.  At home we have been remarking on how quickly the nights have been drawing in, as if this hadn’t been my experience every September now for sixty-one years!

Many people, and I’m one of them, love Autumn.  Last weekend I sat at breakfast looking out of the window on the mist hanging low in the garden, and it seemed like an announcement that summer was on the wain and the Fall was beginning.


Of course, to refer to this season as ‘The Fall’ seems so American.  I was, therefore, interested to discover that it was a common term in Britain until the end of the 1600’s.  Only then, a mere three hundred years ago,  did we finally opt instead for Autumn instead, based on the Latin Autumnus.

I find it both ironic and reassuring that nature ‘dies’ so slowly and beautifully during September and October.  To be honest I find a walk in the countryside, amid the golds and reds of autumn, so much more inspiring than the monochrome green of summer – but I know that’s just my personal take, so no Letters to the Editor please!

If our lives reflect the seasons, then many of us at AFC are in the autumn rather than spring of our years.  Yet, just like my countryside walks, I’m constantly impressed by the vibrancy of the colours that make up our church community.  I’ve lost count of the number of times people have shared with me how they’ve tried something ‘new’ in retirement and I’m constantly humbled by the continuing energy and faithfulness of so many ‘older’ folk in our congregation.

Autumn days can be good days, days of dignity and beauty; a season to inspire.

So, enjoy The Fall of 22!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holding the Pole

  Yesterday we entered a new month as May dawned.   Traditionally one of those days we think of as marking a transition as we slowly make ou...