Wednesday 29 September 2021

How do you spell that?

 

Sunday’s Harvest Festival was fun!  It was a real delight to welcome families and children along to the Worship Together service and then have so many people take part.  The Chiltern Food Bank has written thanking us for some 86kg worth of food, and so far we’ve raised around £500 for Operation Agri.


So, it was a shame about the preacher – me!!  There I was doing a ‘spelling game’ up the front trying to get other words out of the word Creation.  I thought I survived till the car journey home when Rachel looked at me smiling and said, you know you can’t get ENTIRE out of CREATION – it’s got two e’s!  To have made that mistake so publicly is quite an embarrassment, even if I did admit to everyone at the start of the talk that I’ve always been bad speller.  Well, Q.E.D!

At moments like these I’m grateful for a generous and forgiving congregation.  In fact, I thought the whole atmosphere on Sunday, from listening to Diane’s insightful presentation on the Foodbank to watching that wonderful Junior Church video about our church shrubbery, from being led in the visual prayers by Erna to the strong lead offered us by the music group as we sang, was all about being a ‘family’ at worship, accepting each other’s offerings with gratitude.

So, in making my spelling mistake – I’m glad it was at AFC amongst good hearted friends.

See you next weak….I mean week!

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Othering

  I belong to a couple of book discussion groups, and both have looked at the former Chief Rabbi’s brilliant tome entitled Not in God’s Name...