Friday 31 January 2020

Using what we've got....

Last Sunday, at our united service at St Michael’s, we joined together with other Christians from Amersham on the Hill to worship, pray and listen to God’s Word.

My Methodist colleague preached on that well known text all about Jesus calling his disciples to  ‘Fish for people…’

I used to sing a song about that in Sunday School! 

As the sermon progressed, he shared with us this lovely and inspiring thought that Jesus might have used the ‘fishing’ image precisely, and specifically, because he was talking to fishermen – simple and obvious really!  In describing the work of The Kingdom, and his invitation for them to join with him in spreading a message of love and light, he referred to such work as ‘fishing’ – of course he did, because, as always Jesus is conscious of his audience.

The idea, preached by my Methodist friend, was that if Jesus had been speaking to carpenters might his invitation have been; Follow me and I will make you ‘builders’ of The Kingdom. Or, if he had been addressing doctors could he have issued a challenge that they become ‘healers’ of The Kingdom?

I’m not sure what that means if you are a computer programmer today, maybe Jesus’ invitation is: Follow me and let’s build a new website for living.

The point is that this call to serve isn’t about lamenting the skills we don’t have but embracing the ones we do.  It’s about using those gifts, talents, personality and interests, and offering them to up God.

Are we willing to give God our whole selves in response to the call: Come, follow me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...