Thursday 25 April 2019

Still Singing Hallelujah?


How do you top Easter Sunday?

This coming weekend sees ‘Low Sunday’ and the Vicar of our local Parish church told me, as we were having coffee together on Good Friday, that she won’t even preach a sermon this week as it’s a short service followed by their AGM!

I see that the lectionary reading from the Jewish Scriptures for Low Sunday is Psalm 150, the final one in the temple hymnbook. It’s part of the five so called ‘Hallelujah Psalms’ that bring the book to a close.

I find the presence of these praise songs right at the end of Psalms very encouraging.

The book of Psalms is a mixed bag.  There are psalms to be sung whilst on pilgrimage and others to be almost shouted at God in frustration and lament.  The songs reflect our lives in its ebb and flow.

So, how wonderful that come the end of this emotional journey the Psalmist, in numbers 146-150, still finishes by singing Hallelujah.

I’d love that to be my pilgrimage experience too – that no matter what comes my way in life I can still look to heaven and want to praise God.

I asked a cheeky question at the beginning of this Blog: How can we top Easter Sunday?

Of course, the truth is we don’t have to, because whether it’s April or August every Sunday is a celebration of the Resurrection and Hallelujahs are never out of place.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Othering

  I belong to a couple of book discussion groups, and both have looked at the former Chief Rabbi’s brilliant tome entitled Not in God’s Name...