Thursday 10 July 2014

'An Easy Relationship'

The COTHA ministers before the service
On Sunday the three churches on the hill at Amersham (COTHA) held one of their twice yearly services, which this time happened to be at our place, AFC.  Of course not everybody goes to these events (which always somewhat saddens me) but, that said, we had a fine congregation last weekend and there was, I think a good spirit among us as we worshipped together.

During the meal we shared after the service one of my clergy colleagues said of COTHA that we have an 'easy' relationship.  It's a phrase that says a very great deal and one I think worth pondering, if for no other reason than to ask 'why' the relationship seems so straightforward.

Well here's my take:
- MUTUAL RESPECT: we represent a joint Baptist/URC church along with Anglican and Methodist congrgeations - we are 'in covenant' with a willingness to worship in the host church's tradition whenever we gather together.
- A LIGHT PROGRAMME: we have deliberately recognised that our main focus has to be our local congregations so we don't over plan the activities we feel called to do together.
- CLERGY/MINISTER FRIENDSHIP: we occasionally meet up for lunch and this makes all the 'formal' stuff so much easier because we have had those times of open and honest conversation.
INTERACTION OF CONGREGATIONAL MEMBERS: I suppose we have to admit that Amersham is the sort of place where a lot of people know each other really quite well - so members of our churches often build on the relationship they have in other organisations not just bumping into each other on Sundays - all of this, I think, is the sign of a healthy community.
JOINT PROJECTS: The days of 'committee ecumenism' have surely long gone, if our partnership with each other is to grow it has to be through 'task centred  ecumenism' - for COTHA that has meant projects like 'Get in The Picture', The Iona Pilgrimage this summer, serving together at LunchBreak and our support for the Chiltern Food Bank.
JUST SURVIVING! I mean that very positively!  Because it's an achievement that COTHA has 'survived' the comings and goings of ministers (all with their different personalities and priorities).  There must have been certain 'flash points' in the past yet we are still around and committed to a broader vision for The Church.

I remember in my first church in Kettering, during a meal with new friends, being asked that leading question: Are you an Ecumaniac?  Well I can't actually remember how I answered or even if I really understood the question!

I think a much better question for me now would be: Can I see Jesus Christ in my fellow Anglican and Methodist friends?  And to that I would repond with an unequivocal and deeply thankful 'yes'!

With best wishes,

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...