Thursday 24 November 2011

Thanksgiving

It’s the fourth Thursday in November so, according to a proclamation issued by President Lincoln in 1863 during the Civil War, it’s a Day of Thanksgiving for our American friends.  A day when their nation owns a collective ‘memory’ of the 1621 feast held at The Plymouth Plantation to celebrate the first successful growing season by the European settlers in their ‘New World’.  I’m told it’s one of the major holidays of the year in the States and it’s been fun today sending off a few emails to friends we made there during August and receiving their replies wishing us Brits a good ‘Thanksgiving’ as well!

All of this connects with a conversation I had over coffee with a ministerial colleague yesterday.  We were discussing ‘spirituality’ and the constant searching which goes on after an authentic one.  He looked at me and said: If I had to define spirituality, my spirituality, it’s just about being ‘thankful’.  He made a great point.

You don’t have to be American to make this day one of Thanksgiving.  I too can be thankful – for family, friends, health, church and community.  I too could be grateful for a cup half full rather than half empty.  The bible says it plainly enough...Give thanks!

This weekend we have music...on Sunday morning The Park School Choir will be helping us in our Advent worship and in the evening, at St John’s, Hymneo take part in the Light Up a Life Service.

With best wishes,

Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...