Thursday 5 October 2023

Meeting my Younger Self

This weekend I have the great privilege of preaching at my ‘first’ church; Fuller Baptist Church in Kettering, where I served as Assistant (Curate) Minister from 1987-1992.

During those years I served under The Revd Donald MacKenzie, and they became, for me, such a valuable period of continuing ministerial formation.  Indeed, in the four churches that have followed I have regularly asked myself ‘What would Donald do?’!

So, I think maybe as I enter Fuller once again on Sunday I might well walk through the corridors and feel as if I’m meeting my younger self round a few corners.

In truth Fuller are very generous in asking me back because, I sense, I might not be a natural ‘fit’ for them anymore.  Understandably they have changed (liturgically) since my day, whereas I’ve probably not moved on so much in my views about worship – i.e. I’m still something of a dinosaur! Yet I’m thrilled to hear that the church is in good heart and are currently experiencing a good number of children and young people at morning worship – so, ‘well done’ Fuller!

A church’s story is written in a number of chapters.  Each chapter will have its ups and down.  I was thrilled to have been part of Fuller’s life when it had two vibrant youth groups, a regular morning service of around 300 and an evening congregation that never dipped below 120.  More than the statistics is my memory of a loving church family located in a bustling Midland’s town.  A town centre church with so much going on.  It really was a great opportunity and maybe I learnt more about being a minister in those years than all the ones I spent at theological college.

So, I exited their story in 1992 when we moved to my first solo pastorate in Hitchin.  Since then, many more chapters have been written, both in their story and mine and I believe God has continue to be active.On Sunday I will be treading on holy ground, as a guest preacher at one of my former churches.  As I do so I’ll recall Abraham Lincoln’s words to his hometown as he left to travel to Washington for his Inauguration: The God who goes with me is the God who stays with you… Isn’t that great!

God’s blessing has been experienced at Fuller, Kettering, in all the years that have occurred since I left – on Sunday, for a brief moment, I’ll rejoin them to give thanks for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holding the Pole

  Yesterday we entered a new month as May dawned.   Traditionally one of those days we think of as marking a transition as we slowly make ou...