Thursday 23 March 2023

Committees

 

In a previous church, a long time ago (!) my heart sank when a well meaning lady described me as a ‘Committee Man’. I think it was meant as a compliment.


Well, in recent years I’ve tried to reduce the number of committees (outside of local church life) that I sit on.

However, I still believe in committees. And, yes I do know that
Sir Alec Issigonis, designer of the original Mini in 1959, famously said, a camel is a horse designed by committee.

This weekend at AFC we hold our AGM, at which a number of long serving Elders will be retiring – they are leaving the committee.

We are grateful for all the service our friends have so willingly and faithfully given. 

Our two church officers: Secretary and Treasurer, are also stepping down. I have worked closely with both over a number of years, especially during the Pandemic when we were in contact almost daily.  Their energy and vision throughout that period meant so much to me and enabled AFC to grasp every opportunity to continue its life together.

We are blessed that good folk are stepping up to the mark to fill these posts and serve with their own gifts and in their own style.

Committees can be a blessing because they offer collegiality and the benefits of talking through issues together.

That was never more appreciated by me than at a time in my life when I chaired a regional church council at a rather choppy time.  Every meeting had to be negotiated with great care, so I was much encouraged when a senior minister advised me that if the session got too fractious I should, as Chair, pause the proceedings, gather the trustees around me on the platform and take ten minutes to decide together how we might proceed.  In an instant a burden was lifted from my shoulders as I realised I was not alone, others were there to support, advise and encourage.

So, I’m grateful for committees – and in my book camels are rather splendid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Holding the Pole

  Yesterday we entered a new month as May dawned.   Traditionally one of those days we think of as marking a transition as we slowly make ou...