Friday 2 July 2021

Days to Cherish

On Thursday, 1st July 2021, in the grounds of Kensington Palace, Princes William and Harry unveiled a statue to their late mother: Diana, Princess of Wales.

The Princess and I have something in common, and probably only one thing.  We were both born in the same year, 1961.  So, this year would have marked her 60th birthday too.

The unveiling has brought home to me that I have had the good fortune of living the years she lost.

Our youngest son was ‘Dedicated’ at church the day Diana died. An occasion that should have been a celebration of life was also one overshadowed by a sense of national loss and mourning.

In the twenty-four years since I have served in three further Pastorates, and we have seen our children grow into fine young men.  Years I have cherished.

We are all saddened when a life is cut short, whether that is through illness, pandemic, or war.  Any passing is hard, a premature one especially so.

Those of us who have lived the years that others have not known are grateful for the blessings that have come our way.

I sense a similar attitude of thanksgiving and determination is to be found among us as we emerge from this pandemic.  So many have died, so we who have survived are grateful for the coming days and walk into them with renewed appreciation. As life once more begins to open up, we have become aware that the simplest of pleasures often bring the deepest joys.

A central truth of the faith we profess is that life is to be treasured and every day cherished.

Thanks be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where your trasure is...

  I often use the phrase Seekers after Truth when I’m leading worship because I think it’s an honest description of where most of us find ou...